©2017 BY EXCEL PAINTING & RESTORATION. 

(415) 505-5403

San Francisco CA United States

  • Yelp Social Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon
Carriger House Sonoma, Ca

The Nicholas Carriger Estate is a collection of buildings located in Sonoma, California. The estate consists of three buildings: the main house built in 1847, a small house, which is a replica of the main house, built in 1860, and a winery, built in 1875. All three buildings fall in the Greek revival style architecturally. In 1979 the estate was designated a California Historical Landmark, and in 2001, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

Nicholas Carriger built the property after traveling west with his family as a settler of California. A member of the United States Army, Carriager was welcomed to the area by Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo. Vallejo and Carriger would remain lifelong friends. Carriager chose his estate property based on the scenery and the good drainage of the area. He purchased the property, 1,000 acres, from Vallejo. It was on this land that Carriger was reportedly the first American to grow wine grapes in Sonoma Valley. Cattle, purchased from Vallejo, also grazed the property. After an absence to participate in the gold rush, Carriger returned after great success finding gold, to complete the main house in 1850, which was eventually expanded in 1875. The 1875 expansion included a cornerstone, which was believed to have personal items related to the Carriger's hidden within it, however the items have never been discovered. The Carriger's lived on the property until their deaths.

Fair Oaks San Francisco, Ca
Trinity St. Peter's Episcopal Church
St. Peter's Hall

Trinity+St. Peter's is a church in the Episcopal tradition in the Diocese of California. It's foundation in 1849 makes it the oldest Episcopal Church on the West Coast. The current building was erected on the corner of Bush and Gough Streets in San Francisco in 1893. The building, designed by A. Page Brown in the Norman style and built of Colusa sandstone, was modeled on Durham Cathedral. It survived the 1906 Earthquake and Fire without damage.